Thursday, July 26, 2007

Using dotSub.com can help connect oral to written language

I've been hearing a a lot about the video site dotSUB.com where user volunteers translate uploaded videos into subtitles in any of about two dozen languages.

I see this as a great tool for classrooms with even just the English subtitles. For English speaking students and second-language learners, it adds that connection between oral and written speech. A speaker at the Computer Using Educators (CUE) conference this year (I wish I could remember who) discussed a study showing how much better non-hearing impaired children read in households where there were hearing-impaired family members thanks to television subtitles.

Subtitled videos could also be used in other languages in parent education settings where some parents speak English and others do not.

I'm excited to try this out this year.

No comments: